Question Bank – Chatper 17 – Forest: Our Life Line
FOREST: OUR LIFELINE
Q1. What is a Forest?
Ans. Forest is a system comprising various plants, animals and micro-organisms. Forests influence climate, water cycle and air quality
Q 2. Explain how forests prevent floods.
Ans. Roots of plants bind the soil and help in controlling floods but also help maintain the flow of water in the streams so that we get a steady supply of water.,
Q 3. What are decomposers?. What do they do in the forest?
Ans. The micro-organisms which convert the dead plants and animals to humus are known as decomposers, nutrients of the dead plants and animals are released into the soil Micro-organisms eat the dead plant and animal tissues and convert them into humus.
Q4. Explain the role of forest in maintaining the balance between oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Ans. The plants help to provide oxygen for animal respiration, carbon dioxide released by animals is used for photosynthesis by plants so forest maintain the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Q5. Explain why there is no waste in a forest.
Ans. Dead plants and animals become food other animals and micro organisms. The decaying animal dung also provides nutrients to the seedlings to grow. In this way, the nutrients are cycled. So, nothing goes waste in a forest
Q.6 List five products we get from forests?
Ans. We get medicines, timber, gum, seeds and honey from forests.
Q7. What forests provide to survival of tribes?
Ans. Many people also live in the forest. Some of them may belong to different tribes. Depend mostly on the forests. The forest provides them with food, shelter, water and medicines.
Q8. Explain how forests help us in water level maintenance.
Ans. The forest acts as a natural absorber of rainwater and allows it to seep it helps maintain the water table, soil erosion, flooding is controlled by roots of trees.
Q9. Why should we worry about the conditions and issues related to forests?
Ans. Forests provide us with oxygen, they protect soil and provide habitat to a large number of animals, they help in bringing good rainfall in neighboring areas, deforestation will cause lake of all things thus we should worry about forests.
Q10. Explain why there is a need of variety of animals and plants in a forest.
Ans. The wide variety of animals helps the forest to regenerate and grow. Larger number of herbivores means increased availability of food for a variety of carnivores, decomposers help in maintaining the supply of nutrients to the growing plants in the forest.
Q11. What is the interaction between soil and forest?
Ans. The forest keeps on growing and changing, and can regenerate. In the forest, there is interaction between soil, water, air and living organisms. Forests protect the soil from erosion. Soil helps forests to grow and regenerate
- Chapter 1 – Nutrients in plants
- Chapter 2 – Nutrition in Animals
- Chapter 3 – Fibre to Fabric
- Chapter 4 – Heat
- Chapter 5 – Acids bases and salts
- Chapter 6 – Physical and Chemical Changes
- Chapter 7 – Weather, Climate and Adaptations of Animals to Climate
- Chapter 8 – Winds, Storms and Cyclone
- Chapter 9 – Soil
- Chapter 10 – Respiration in Organisms
- Chapter 11 – Transportation in Animals and Plants
- Chapter 12 – Reproduction in Plants
- Chapter 13 – Motion and Time
- Chapter 14 – Electric Current and its Effects
- Chapter 15 – Light
- Chapter 16 – Water: A Precious Resource
- Chapter 17 – Forests: Our Lifeline
- Chapter 18 – Waste water Story
- Chapter 1 – Nutrients in Plants – Question Bank
- Question Bank – Chapter 2 – Nutrition in Animals
- Question Bank – Chapter 3 – Fibre to Fabric
- Question Bank – Chapter 4 – Heat
- Question Bank – Chapter 5 – Acids, Bases and Salts
- Question Bank – Chapter 6 – Physical & Chemical Changes
- Question Bank – Chapter 7 – Weather, Climate & Adaptations of Animals to Climate
- Question Bank – Chapter 8 – Winds, Storms and Cyclones
- Question Bank – Chapter 9 – Soil
- Question Bank – Chapter 10 – Respiration in Organisms
- Question Bank – Chapter 11 – Transportation in Animals and Plants
- Question Bank – Chapter 12 – Reproduction in Plants
- Question Bank – Chapter 13 – Motion and Time
- Question Bank – Chapter 14 – Electric Current & Its Effects
- Question Bank – Chapter 15 – Light
- Question Bank – Chapter 16 – Water: A Precious Resoure
- Question Bank – Chatper 17 – Forest: Our Life Line
- Question Bank – Chapter 18 – Waste Water Story