Question Bank – Chapter 7 – Conservation of Plants and Animals
CONSERVATION OF PLANTS AND ANIMALS
Q1. What is Deforestation?
Ans. Deforestation means clearing of forests and using that land for other purposes like Procuring land for cultivation., Building houses and factories., Making furniture or using wood as fuel.
Q2. What is the difference between National parks and Biosphere reserve?
Ans. Areas reserved for wild life where they can freely use the habitats and natural resources are called National Park while large areas of protected land for conservation of wild life, plant and animal resources and traditional life of the tribals living in the area become Biosphere Reserve .
Q3. What is Red Data Book?
Ans. Red Data Book is the source book which keeps a record of all the endangered animals, plants and other species.
Q4. What does term Endemic species stands for?
Ans. Endemic species are those species of plants and animals which are found exclusively in a particular area they are not naturally found anywhere else.
Q5. What are endangered animals?
Ans. Animals whose numbers are diminishing to a level that they might be extinct are known as the endangered animals e.g. black buck, elephant.
Q6. What do you understand by the term migration?
Ans. Migration is move of animals and bird to another place like birds cover long distances to reach another land .Migratory birds fly to far away areas every year during a particular time.
Q7. How does deforestation reduce rainfall on one hand and lead to floods on the other?
Ans. Fewer trees result in more soil erosion. Removal of the top layer of the soil exposes
the lower, hard and rocky layers. This soil has less humus and is less fertile, the fertile land gets converted into deserts. Deforestation also leads to a decrease in the water holding capacity of the soil as infiltration rate is reduced there are floods.
Q8. Why should paper be saved?
Ans. We should save, reuse and recycle paper to save trees, energy and water.
Q9. what are consequences of Deforestation ?
Ans. Deforestation increases the temperature and pollution level on the earth. It increases the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Ground water level also gets lowered.
Q10. What is the purpose of making national parks, wildlife sanctuaries and biosphere reserves?
Ans. Sanctuaries, national parks and biosphere reserves are made to protect our flora and fauna and their habitats.
Q.1 What is poaching? Is it posing a threat to biodiversity ?
Q.2 Describe the cause behind giant panda becoming an endangered species ?
Q.3 Pick the odd word out of the following:
giant flying squirrel, lion-tailed macaque, giant panda, ganga river dolphin, nilgiri leaf monkey.
Q.4 Write full forms of the following :
- i) IUCN ii) WCU
- Crop Production & Management
- Microorganisms – Friends & Foe
- Synthetic, Fibers & Plastic
- Materials – Metals and Non Metals
- Combustion and Flame
- Conservation Of Plants And Animals
- Coal & Petroleum
- Cell Structure And Functions
- Reproduction In Animals
- Reaching The Age Of Adolescence
- Force And Pressure
- Chemical Effects Of Electric Current
- Some Natural Phenomena
- Stars And The Solar System
- Pollution Of Air And Water
- Question Bank – Chapter 1 – Crop Production & Management
- Question Bank – Chapter 2 – Microorganisms
- Question Bank – Chapter 3 – Synthetic Fibres and Plastics
- Question Bank – Chapter 4 – Metals and Non Metals
- Question Bank – Chapter 5 – Coal & Petroleum
- Question Bank – Chapter 6 – Combustion and Flame
- Question Bank – Chapter 7 – Conservation of Plants and Animals
- Question Bank – Chapter 8 – Cell Structure & Functions
- Question Bank – Chapter 9 – Reproduction
- Question Bank – Chapter 10 – Reaching the age of adolescence
- Question Bank – Chapter 11 – Force and Pressure
- Question Bank – Chapter 12 – Friction
- Question Bank – Chapter 13 – Sound
- Question Bank – Chapter 14 – Chemical Effects of Electric Current
- Question Bank – Chapter 15 – Some Natural Phenomena
- Question Bank – Chapter 16 – Light
- Question Bank – Chapter 17 – Stars and Solar System
- Question Bank – Chapter 18 – Pollution of Air & Water